Friday, August 13, 2010

Parable of the Oranges

I was out running one Sunday morning, when. I passed the most beautiful orange tree, filled with oranges to overflowing. I have passed this tree before, but on this particular Sunday, it looked ever more inviting. How juicy and sweet a fresh orange would taste, I thought.

I was running on a path that brought back to the tree more than once. And so, when I circled around again, I saw a man picking the oranges. Again, I thought, how great a fresh orange would taste. I'd love to ask for one, but I didn't.

When I circled around yet another time, I passed the same man, who was now carrying a large brown bag to overflowing with the oranges he'd picked. He looked at me and pointed to the oranges, gesturing for me to have some. My prayer had been answered. I took one from his bag. The man just looked at me rather strangely and kept walking.

I continued my run, when a few moments later, I passed the man again. Again, he gestured to the oranges in his bag, and then to me, offering me another one. I took another orange. He looked at me and groaned out loud under the weight of the bag, seeming to say, you idiot! I'm offering you as many as you want! He waddled on down the road, leaving me holding my two oranges and two questions...

First of all, why couldn't I ask for an orange to begin with? Secondly, why did I only take one orange, each time, when he offered me as many as I wanted?

I could use the excuse of being polite or not being able to carry them, but there is really only one answer to these questions and it is: This orange story is a metaphor for my capacity to receive.

In that moment, I immediately turned my attention to the Truth of who I am and opened my mind to the the abundance I deserve. I opened up my mind wide to allow the abundance of the Universe to pour through me without limitation.

Ernest Holmes writes,

"In Reality, we know God or Truth only as we ourselves embody God or Truth. AND SINCE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO EMBODY ANYTHING OUTSIDE OURSELVES, 
THIS KNOWLEDGE MUST BE AN INNER LIGHT."

Honestly, I didn't feel the expansion at first, but as I continue to spiritually work on this idea everyday, my consciousness is expanding and the results are demonstrated. I challenge all those who need this knowing to join me in doing this spiritual work for themselves.

The answer for me, is self-love. Ernest Holmes writes,

"...above all have a consciousness of love, a radiant feeling flowing through your consciousness at all times. Treat yourself until you have an inner sense of unity with all good. Love is at the center of man's being and the calm continuous pulsations of life are governed by love."

I still pass that orange tree everyday, and I still wonder if I'll ever see the man again so I can take as many oranges I want. It hasn't happened yet, and today, I said to myself..."What are you waiting for...just go buy yourself a huge bag of oranges!" And so I did!

Namaste! Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment