Monday, April 5, 2010

FACING FEAR

We had another earthquake yesterday afternoon, April 4, Easter Sunday. Patrick and I were taking a much needed nap and suddenly, the bed began to gently shake. There is always that moment when earthquake strikes that fear can set in. It passes quickly with me now. I am less and less afraid lately, as I embody a Trust in Spirit and the Spiritual Universe more and more.

This morning, my son called me and we started talking about earthquakes and about being afraid. He sent me this quote from the "Dune Series." I'd like to share it...

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

I like this quote, because it tells us not to block our fear or to stick our head in the sand, but to face it. It is so true. The only way to pass through a fear is to actually look at it and let it wash over you.

I remember I used to have a great fear of flying. Probably my fear was a mixture of race consciousness and also my parents telling me from an early age that planes crash.

I remember one day I sat on the plane and just went to my fear in my mind and played it out all the way to the plane crashing and me dying. It was a great exercise, and ever since that day, I have not feared flying.

One day after that, while I was flying, there was a loud explosion. It was right after 9/11, so of course, my first thought was: it's was a bomb. In that moment, I remember this intense calm feeling came over me. I knew that whatever was happening, I was fine. It wasn't anything I had to force, I just knew. The plane landed safely. We had been hit by lightening and I had been enlightened again.

So, to recap...as the quote says,

"I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

Fear is an illusion as we say in Science of Mind, "False Evidence Appearing Real."

Only I will remain. The "I" God. That is the power that is ours. Only God remains and with God everything is always fine.

1 comment: